Saturday, August 3, 2013

trying something new

I am not a natural athlete and I have no rhythm.  Somehow, when I was a kid I ended up taking jazz for 6 or 7 years.  I am sure I was horrible.  I never learned the dancers and would just watch the other girls in the class, even in a recital.  I die at the memory.  I played softball for several years as well, and I was okay, but I wouldn’t practice so I never got better.  This was hard as I lived in a town that has an amazing community baseball and softball program. It seemed like most girls my age always played on a travelling softball team, and I was not.  Don’t worry though; I played basketball in junior high.   I was on the “B” team, and I don’t think I scored once.  I went to basketball camp, but outside of that, I never once practiced.  Our freshman team was an “everyone can play” kind of team, but my coach pulled me aside and told me I would never play.  I decided I was going to stay on the team, and I did play, but not very often and I only scored once- a three pointer! I was very diligent at sucking when I was growing up.  Somewhere along the way I missed the lesson of start practicing so you aren’t bad anymore.  I just started quitting when the going got tough.  I started working out about 300 times in college, but never for more than a day or two because it wasn’t easy. 
After committing to a healthier lifestyle, I have gone back to my old ways of trying things and doing them especially when I am not good at them.  And yes, I have learned that practice does make perfect.  Here is what I have tried and liked:
·         Lifting weights- This is my favorite way to cross train.  I love getting stronger every week and toning my muscles.  I feel like when I start to slack in weight training, I start to get more injury prone.
·         Running- I love running.  I will spend a whole post on why.
·         Yoga – This is what inspired this post.  I bought a groupon for yoga a month ago and have been dragging my feet with the standard excuses- I don’t know what I’m doing, everyone will laugh at me, what if I fart in class.  My girlfriend and I went and LOVED it.  It was a slow flow class. I left feeling stretched and sweaty- great combo.  I didn’t know what I was doing and it was ok.  I will definitely go back so that I learn what I am doing!  No one laughed at me and I didn’t fart.
·         Biking- I have always loved bike riding, but haven’t done it since I was pregnant.  I miss it and will be making some attempts to get back in the saddle. 
·         Racing of all kinds- competition, sign me up.  It’s a great way to check up on your stats.  I’m doing a “mud race” this weekend with people from work.  I am very excited. 
Here is what I have tried and didn’t like:
·         Elliptical- seriously, I HATE the elliptical.  I am ok with never being good at ellipticalling.
The moral of the story is to try, try, try, try again, months later after buying fancy running shoes and a garmin you will be good.  Also, I’m pretty sure it’s ok if you fart doing yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment